Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Hello my friends! I'm sorry but this email will be in bullet points. I've been jotting down my random thoughts as they come throughout the week.

-My area is called the Anaheim North area. It's a fun family ward. 

- Forgot to tell everyone that when I was in the Salt Lake City airport I saw Mitt Romney! He was just walking to his gate all by himself. Would have said hi but he looked like he was in a hurry.

- had exchanges (you switch companions with another set of sister missionaries for the day) yesterday with our sister training leaders. I went with Sister Kaitu. She's from an island near Fiji and wants to be a police officer. Yeah. She's kind of awesome. We had a bunch of service opportunities yesterday. We got to help clean the ward building and then do yard work for a nonmember. So fun! 

- we went to visit some less active girls late in the afternoon but when we got there they said that they were just leaving. So after we talked with them, Sister Kaitu said I had to see the next street over. When we got there, each tree along the street (a lot of trees) had been made into a fairy house! Pics below. SO cute I HAD to take pictures for mom! 

- teaching some awesome people. A couple, John and Kristina are committed to baptism at the end of this month! They've been investigating the church for almost a year! Let's pray that they continue to prepare themselves for that beautiful day. We're also teaching Juan who is golden!! He's diving right into the Book of Mormon and loves it! We've been visiting the Ramirez family, too. Their 14 year old son was diagnosed with cancer and is going through chemo right now. We went over and read some of the Book of Mormon with him which was great. He asked some great questions and really liked the stories we read. Wonderful kid. Wonderful family. 

- visited an older woman with Alzheimer's this past week. Turns out she likes music so we got to sing some songs for her which she loved. At first, it was hard for me to keep from getting too emotional. I kept thinking " this is hard. I can't keep singing. I'm gonna sound awful. I need to stop." Then the thought came,"this isn't about you." What a great reminder that it is always about others. Especially in missionary work. When we focus outward and help others we forget about ourselves. President Hinckley was told as a young missionary "forget yourself and go to work." Sometimes we think "but how can I help others when I can't help myself?" I learned in the MTC that when we help others, The Lord helps us. He will take care of us if we can take care for those around us. I hope we can all try our best to remember this! 

I love you all!
Sister A

P.S. When we asked Micah if she needed anything she just said, "SEND CHOCOLATE"

No comments:

Post a Comment